Saturday, May 31, 2008

Nana's House

I've decided that I'm going to spend more time making our pictures on here a little more interesting. By interesting I mean pleasing to the eye- maybe even "enhanced" just a smidgen. Who couldn't benefit from a little lightening or darkening or brightening? So, here we go...


The four of us packed up what seemed to be a truckload of stuff and headed south toward Houston Friday afternoon. Well, more like Friday evening. As in Rush. Hour. We left a little after 5 and didn't make it to Nana's until shortly after 9. We had some traffic getting out of Dallas and we ended up missing our exit off of Interstate 45, which added about an hour to the trip. See, when we're in the car Tony drives. My job is to make sure Erin doesn't get too out of hand... You get the picture. I'm NOT looking for exits or paying much attention to the road. That's Tone's job. I'm reaching behind seats feeling for pacifiers, blankets, and toys. My point is we missed our exit. Big time. We made it though, after
driving 150 miles in about 4 hours. We arrived just in time for some peach cobbler and a couple of very inviting beds. We were beat. Nana and Gordon were so happy to see us. I think they wonder how we ever get around Dallas if we can't even find our way through the country!
The girls tried on Gordon's hat and I took a few pictures. I'm sending this one of Olivia to her teacher. Their theme this year at school was "Ride for the Brand" as in cattle brands. That's another story. I'm sure she'll treasure the picture of the smartest, sweetest kid in her class.
Erin and Olivia rode around in the Radio Flyer for a couple of hours. I really need to get Erin a wagon. It has to be better than the umbrella stroller we've been using when we take our evening walks. I push because, well I enjoy it, but also because Tony is too tall to push it comfortably. I'm a little too tall, too, so I have to hunch over just a tad. I think Erin might especially enjoy a wagon.

While the girls played with the wagon, Nana, Gordon, Tony and I sat and talked on the back patio. Good times. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe Erin is really mine. I catch myself looking at her occasionally, thanking God for trusting us with one of his special little spirits. I love being able to bring a great-grandchild to my grandparents and seeing the outpouring of love that they have for her. Maybe I sound silly, but I truly feel blessed to have the Bruta- sleepless nights and all.


Our baby Erin completes our family. I have two of the sweetest little girls a mom could ever ask for and they love each other to pieces.


Oh, when we were ready to leave Erin decided to really take a liking to Gordon. She wouldn't let him put her down! You have to understand Gordon. He has four children of his own, several grandchildren, and a handful of great-grandchildren. He is one of the most gentle men I've ever known. He doesn't have a rough or loud voice, and he wouldn't dare say an unkind thing about you, or me, or anyone. He's a rancher. He deals with cattle for a living. He doesn't have any problems branding their skin, vaccinating them, or selling them off. They're head, not cows. He and Nana have two dogs that aren't allowed in the house. Ever. But he loves those little mutts.

So when Erin decided to make him the object of her affection, I was only a little surprised. Usually children 'try out' people before they cling to them. And as far as I know she never really tried him out. She must be able to see that he really is a gentle guy.



Nana and Erin played outside for a long time. Erin's cheeks were rosy and we were all getting tired.

I wish I had pictures of the last few hours at their house. But I didn't have my camera. It was locked in the car. Along with the keys to the car. And the diapers and the bottles. Yep. We had to call a locksmith. But, we got to spend a little longer with Nana and Gordon than we had planned. See, Tony was packing up our truckload of stuff and making a bottle for the kid and set the keys down just inside the trunk. Had he set them down just a little bit closer to the edge of the trunk, the lid wouldn't have closed and we would have never been locked out.

We all kept our cool, called Roadside Assistance, and a got our doors unlocked- eventually. Olivia and I took a four-wheeler ride while we waited for a locksmith. By the time we got back to the house, the guys were collecting their $50 and heading back. Toyota will pay the first $100 in locksmith charges, so the $50 sounded like a deal. Thank goodness for good 'ol country boys, especially the kind that don't mind working on Saturdays. (Toyota couldn't find any locksmiths in the area that were willing to drive out to us!) We found the locksmith that came through the yellow pages. Gordon had to meet them at the "main road" to lead them to the house because get this- my Nana's address didn't even show up on the map that the kid at Toyota pulled up. That's how far out in the sticks they live. AND the local Toyota dealer is CLOSED on Saturdays! Whoever heard of THAT?? Fortunately everything turned out fine and we all made it home safe and sound. There's something to be said about coming home to your own house. Your own pillow, your own bed...

No comments: